Q.  Are all builders in Manitoba registered with the Program?

A.  No, membership is strictly voluntary and not all new home builders qualify to become members of the Program.

Q.  What do I receive as proof of warranty coverage, and when does it begin?

A.   At the time of possession you and your Registered Builder will inspect the home and complete a Possession Certificate supplied by the Program in order to identify any incomplete or seasonal work that remains outstanding. This document establishes the date of commencement of warranty coverage.

Q.  What types of homes are covered?

A.  The Program covers new homes built on site with permanent foundations and new ready-to-move home (RTM's) moved onto a permanent foundations. These new homes must have been built for sale or under contract by a Registered Builder member of the Program. This includes single detached homes, semi-detached homes, homes located within First Nation lands, row housing, duplexes, and condominium units located within buildings up to 3 stories in height. Homes not eligible for coverage are renovated homes or additions, recreational homes, mobile homes, and condominium units located in building greater than three stories in height.

Q.  What about those builders who offer their own warranty?

A Builder's own warranty is only as good as the level of service the company wishes to provide or for so as long as the company remains in business. Along with our Registered Builders, the New Home Warranty Program strives to meet our Mission Statement: "To provide warranty protection for new home buyers and to support the building industry in its goal to achieve excellence in building standards."

Q.  Is my sidewalk or driveway covered?

A.   No. As stated in your warranty certificate your "home" is the only item covered and does not include "any pool, parking facility, common recreational area, site grading and surface drainage, landscaping, shrubbery, flowers, trees, patios, driveways, garage slabs or carport slabs, sidewalks, retaining walls, septic tanks or fields, detached garages or detached carports, or outbuildings."

Q.  Why is there is excessive moisture on and around my windows?

A.   Moisture accumulates around windows as a result of excessive humidity in your home. This usually occurs in the Winter when the outside air is so much cooler than indoors. Ventilation is the most effective means to remove this moisture. By exchanging some of the drier outdoor winter air for warm humid interior air, the moisture level will be reduced. For more information on window condensation and humidity and how to control it, click here.

Q.  Cracks and/or nail pops are appearing in my walls. Is this covered?

A.  As mentioned in clause 3.d of your warranty certificate, normal drywall cracking is not covered. If the interior walls or ceilings of your house are finished with "dry wall" (gypsum wallboard) cracks may appear over doors, windows and archways due to the shrinkage of larger sized wood members (behind the drywall) used to span these openings. Such cracking is usually minor and rarely serious. This is considered a maintenance item to be repaired by the homeowner. Shrink cracks and "nail pops" can be repaired with matching compounds available at hardware stores or retail building supply houses.


© 2008  New Home Warranty Program of Manitoba Inc.